Member ResourcesMember FAQs
PROTECT YOUR WORK
I need help! What kind of business advice does The Dramatists Guild offer?
Please view our Business Affairs information page here.
How do I contact The Dramatists Guild to review my unsigned contract?
To start a conversation with our Business Affairs department about reviewing contracts or anything else, please use this form here.
How can I access the sample contracts that the Guild offers?
To view our list of contracts, please visit our contracts page.
How do I request a contract from The Dramatists Guild?
To request a contract, please email email@example.com.
How do I vote? Who do I vote for?
The Guild will contact you with information in early January. Soon after, you will receive a ballot to vote for members on the Council. Only Members at the $130 level, Student Members and Estate Members can vote. Associate Members, Student Associates and Subscribers are not eligible to vote.
For a list of our current council members, please visit our council and staff page.
How do I list myself in the online Member Directory? Who exactly is listed?
All active members are listed in the directory. Members are listed by first name only and under a pen name if they have so chosen.
Subscribers are not listed in the directory. If you notice your name is missing and you have renewed your membership or you see your name is listed and are not an active paying member, kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The directory is updated once a week, every Friday. To view the directory, visit here.
Who can make a Member Profile on the website? How can I do that?
The Member Profiles are not available at this time. The online Member Profiles are only available to those at the Member level, or to Student Members and Estate Members.
LEARN FROM THE MASTERS
What is The DG Institute?
For more information on The Dramatists Guild Institute for Dramatic Writing, please visit the DGI website here.
What kind of discounts do I get?
All members of The Guild receive up to $150 to $200 off DGI courses.
Who is on the faculty?
For a list of our current DGI faculty, please visit our faculty page.
How do I see which classes are available?
For a list of our current courses, please visit here.
How do I apply for a course?
To apply for a course, please visit here.
What are pop-up special events and programming?
While we can’t always guarantee that special programming will happen, previous DGI students were able to attend a panel discussion about agents, attend a special three-week business affairs seminar series, attend a performance of Robert Schenkkan’s Building the Wall (at an additional fee) and were also able to have first access to renting the Mary Rodgers Room when last-minute rentals became available.
What is the In the Room podcast series?
Through In the Room you have access to The Dramatists Guild’s archived audio featuring Stephen Sondheim, Edward Albee, Theresa Rebeck, Doug Wright, Paula Vogel, David Auburn, Sarah Ruhl, Terrence McNally, Lynn Nottage, Tina Howe, A.R. Gurney, Moises Kaufman, Micki Grant, Lanford Wilson, and countless others. To listen to these inspiring conversations, please visit In The Room.
RECEIVE THE DRAMATIST
What is The Dramatist?
The Dramatist is the bi-monthly magazine of the Guild. It is written by members for members. Its content is generated and/or curated by the editor, staff, and the Publications Committee. It is also the only national magazine dedicated to the business and craft of writing for the theatre.
Click here to access our magazine!
What benefits do I get besides receiving The Dramatist in the mail?
- Seven issues of The Dramatist, including our special edition Season In Review.
- Access to our ever-expanding online archive of past issues.
- Access to additional online content and extended articles.
- One free Classified Ad (40 words or fewer) each subscription year.
- 10% off any display ad and/or 25% off one display ad promoting a member’s self-produced show.
Can I view past issues of The Dramatist on the website?
Soon you will! More information to come.
What does a classified ad look like?
Every subscription year, each member is guaranteed one free classified ad that is 40 words or fewer. Editors may edit advertisements for style or content.
What is a display ad?
More information to come.
How do I place an advertisement in The Dramatist?
To take advantage of this benefit please contact our Director of Publications and the Editor of The Dramatist, Joey Stocks, at email@example.com
SUMBIT YOUR WORK LIKE A PRO
What is the Resource Directory? Where can I access it?
The Dramatists Guild Resource Directory is the only annual professional reference guide for working playwrights, composers, lyricists, and librettists. It contains listings of theatres, playwriting opportunities, writing resources, programs in playwriting, and more. To view a pdf of the 2017 Resource Directory, visit this page.
Which submission fees are waived for members?
Each year, more and more submission opportunities are waiving their fees for Guild members. As long as you can prove that you’re an active member, the fee gets waived! We do not keep a list as that is at the sole discretion of the listing participant. We do not wish to appear to be favoring any listing by promoting those who do waive their fees over those who don’t.
Where is the online submission calendar?
Keep track of deadlines with our new online submissions calendar, found here.
Can I submit a listing to the Resource Directory?
If it fits the purpose of the publication, then yes. To submit a listing, please visit here.
What does “Advance Access” to the Resource Directory mean?
The Resource Directory is available online to all members in a free, searchable PDF version. However, for those who would like a printed copy, we provide a print-on-demand version of the directory, available for purchase.
At the initial release of a new version of the printed directory, we offer all members “Advance Access” (before it is sold to the public). That initial access comes with a 25% discount. The discount is no longer available once the directory is being sold to the public.
How can I buy a printed version of the Resource Directory?
To purchase a hard copy, please visit our print-on-demand partner, lulu.com at this link.
What is The Drama Book Shop?
Founded in 1917 by the Drama League, the Drama Book Shop became an independent store in 1923. Secure in its reputation as the New York City’s best source for theatrical works, it keeps 8,000 plays in stock. The Drama Book Shop is located at 250 W 40th St #1, New York, NY 10018.
How do I take advantage of my discount at The Drama Book Shop?
Visit the store with your DG member card and receive a 10% discount on all purchases! Here is a link to the website as well!
What is The Samuel French Theatre and Film Bookshop?
65 years ago, The Samuel French Theatre and Film Bookshop became an independent store in Hollywood as the West Coast’s premier Theatre and Film Bookshop. The store is located at 7623 Sunset Blvd. Hollywood, CA 90046.
How do I take advantage of my discount at The Samuel French Theatre and Film Bookshop?
Visit the store with your DG member card and receive a 10% discount on all purchases!
What is Final Draft?
DG members can save money on Final Draft® 10, the preferred software for most industry professionals. It helps you format your scripts, map out your plots, collaborate in real time with fellow Final Draft users, and more.
What’s New in Final Draft 10?
Here are some quick What’s New points:
- Collaborate – Write in real-time with a writing partner
- Story Map™ – Outline acts, scenes, and sequences
- Beat Board™ – Plan your script beat-by-beat
- Alternate Dialogue – Store multiple lines of dialogue in the same script
To learn more about Final Draft 10, please visit their website here.
- How can I take advantage of my discount for Final Draft?
What is HotelStorm?
The Dramatists Guild of America partners with HotelStorm to bring exclusive hotel discounts to our members. HotelStorm offers bookings at thousands of hotels worldwide, 24/7 concierge, and the best hotel prices.
- How can I take advantage of my discount for for HotelStorm?
What is the Mary Rodgers Room?
The MRR is a newly renovated, multipurpose space that seats 40-50 people and is on the same floor as the Guild offices, in the heart of Times Square. It’s perfect for rehearsals, workshops, readings, podcast recordings, etc.
The room comes fully equipped with chairs, tables, music stands, and stools. The room also houses one of Richard Rodgers’ own pianos, which was donated to the Guild by the Rodgers family.
The room is located at 1501 Broadway, Suite 710, New York, NY 10036.
How do I rent out the room? Where can I rent out the room?
Please visit our Rentals page for more information
What is Abbott?
- Abbott is Samuel French’s new platform for script reading. Through Abbott, you can explore the largest digital collection of plays and musicals in the world on your mobile device, tablet, or computer…anytime, anywhere: For more information, please visit here.
- Guild members get a free “Light Reader” subscription, which allows you to read two scripts for free per month for an entire year.
- Visit the Samuel French website and create a free account. Once you have created your account, visit Abbott Reader and login with your Samuel French username and password to get your discount.
- On the “Settings” tab in Abbott, select the LIGHT READER subscription. This will take you to the shopping cart to complete the account activation.
- Contact our office to retrieve the DG code for the discount. In the shopping cart, enter the code into the “promotions” box and click confirm. This will waive all charges and confirm your complimentary access.
SAVE MONEY ON TICKETS
How do I get discounted or free tickets?
The Dramatists Guild offers many opportunities to see shows for discounted prices: we provide discounted membership to Theatre Mania Gold Club (NYC), discounted membership to Sold Out Crowd (LA), complimentary tickets via Playwrights Welcome, and other discount or comp ticket offers to theatre in NYC and across the country.
What is Theatre Mania Gold Club?
- As a member of Theatre Mania’s Gold Club, you can purchase complimentary or discounted tickets to shows on Broadway, off Broadway, and off off Broadway.
- Dramatists Guild members enjoy a 40% discount: $59.00 (vs. reg. price $99).
- Members are only charged a processing fee of $4.50 per ticket.
- Contact our office to sign up using our DG discount link.
- To learn more, please go visit their website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Sold Out Crowd?
- As a member of Sold Out Crowd, you can purchase complimentary tickets to shows all over Los Angeles for just a $4 processing fee per ticket.
- This offer is available only to NEW members of Sold Out Crowd. Current or former members of Sold Out Crowd are not able to participate in this offer.
- To learn more about Sold Out Crowd, please visit their website.
- To learn how to take advantage of this membership, please contact our office.
What is Playwrights Welcome?
Developed for the Dramatists Guild of America members, Playwrights Welcome is a national ticketing initiative created by Samuel French, along with Dramatists Play Service, Dramatic Publishing, Music Theatre International, Playscripts, and Rodgers and Hammerstein.
This program was created from a desire to support the artistic health of our industry’s writers, and by extension, the vibrancy of the American theatre.
Any tickets that would otherwise go unsold are eligible. If you’re interested in seeing a show at one of the theatres, simply show up at their box office before curtain and ask if they have any Playwrights Welcome tickets available. If they do, you will need to present your Dramatists Guild membership card, as well as your ID.
For more information, please visit here.
WORK WITH OUR PARTNERS
What is Fractured Atlas?
Fractured Atlas is a non-profit organization that serves a national community of artists and arts organizations. Please visit their website to learn more about this organization.
What benefits can I gain from using Fractured Atlas?
As a member of The Dramatists Guild, you can become a Fractured Atlas Associate Member free of charge! As an Associate Member of Fractured Atlas, you will have access to the following services:
- Fiscal Sponsorship: Fractured Atlas helps raise funds for creative projects by giving you an online profile, giving you the online tools to fundraise, and giving you feedback.
- Manging Tickets, Donations, and Contacts
- Finding Spaces and Venues
- Special Offers and Discounts: Discounts for sites such as Backstage, Squarespace, and ZipCar: