John Mabey is a writer and storyteller whose plays have been published and produced across the United States and Europe.
John grew-up in the desert but has called New York, London and Amsterdam home for the past 10 years, now living in Atlanta and always writing with a cactus on their desk. Their work as a playwright is connected to their career in Psychology and certification as a Mental Health Counselor, as they infuse everything they’ve learned about behavior, emotion and relationships into their plays. John is also a published author on the topics of sexual identity and spirituality in academic books (Routledge: SEXUAL ORIENTATION DISCRIMINATION, ADVANCES IN FEMINIST ECONOMICS) and journals (The Professional Counselor: COUNSELING OLDER ADULTS IN LGBT COMMUNITIES). They also enjoy teaching and performing improvised comedy and true storytelling around the world.
* 2021 Panowski Playwriting Award Winner – A COMPLICATED HOPE - Northern Michigan University
* 2021 Best Women’s Monologues – B IS FOR BULLSH!T – Smith & Kraus Publishers
* 2021 Best 10-Minute Plays – REMEMBERED - Smith & Kraus Publishers
* 2021 Virtual Plays Anthology – THE END IS JUST THE BEGINNING - Smith & Kraus Publishers
* Audience Favorite - BIRDSEED – JL Smith New Play Festival
* Best of Festival - REMEMBERED - Know Theatre
* Best Comedic Play - THE SENSATIONAL SISTERS - The Hive Collaborative
* Best Short Play - THREE SECONDS TO MIDNIGHT - Las Vegas Little Theatre
* Named Artist To Watch - B IS FOR BULLSH!T - Theatre Viscera
* New Works Top 3 Winner - B IS FOR BULLSH!T - Las Vegas Little Theatre