Ready to be inspired?
The Dramatists Guild National Conference gathers together playwrights, composers, lyricists, and librettists for a three-day summit to share ideas, build new relationships and, in the words of Guild member Taylor Mac, “dream the culture forward.” For 99 years, the members of the Dramatists Guild have been carving out rights for authors while establishing new opportunities, ethics, and standards for the American theatre. Come celebrate those accomplishments — and have your say in shaping our work for the next 100 years.
In 2018, artists are facing some of the most serious challenges in a generation. Threats to free speech and copyright protections are ever-present, and basic needs often feel out of reach. At the same time, new technologies help writers find new collaborators, share their work, and see it produced around the world. In July, we will explore these possibilities together, arming our members with the tools they need to master the latest paradigm.
Why New York?
After successful conferences in Virginia, Illinois and California, we are bringing this year’s program to New York. Here we can share some of our most exciting events with members from around the world. For the first time, conference attendees will get access to The Dramatist LIVE, The Monologue Project, and the DG’s Awards Night, with the presentation of the Hull-Warriner, Frederick Loewe, and Flora Roberts awards. It’s the best party of the year, and we’re saving it for the conference so you can be there.
What will it cost?
We hear you: conferences are expensive. They’re expensive to attend, and expensive for the Guild to produce. But in 2018, we need to gather together to solve some of the biggest challenges we’ll ever face as a community. That’s why we are packing registration with these discounts:
- Just $420 for three days of workshops, panels, and events;
- Reduced rate for students extended through April 15th;
- Option to stay at the luxurious Hilton Midtown – book now and save 20% on room rates;
- Free breakfast Friday & Saturday for first 300 registrants (value $80);
- First 100 registrants will be entered to win one of ten free copies of Final Draft 10 (value: $249);
- First 200 registrants will be entered to win one of 50 slots in Paula Vogel’s Boot Camp, to be held on Thursday, July 26th (value: priceless);
- Option to purchase mezzanine ticket to Hamilton on Broadway on Thursday, July 26th for $235 (value: $800 – limited quantity, available while supplies last);
- Option to purchase $25 tickets to Don’t Bother Me, I Can’t Cope (limit: 40) on Thursday, July 26th.
Can I submit a conference proposal?
Please do! We love hearing from our members. Past conferences have included member-guided sessions, and this year will be no different. Click here to submit your proposal.
Stay tuned for future updates in the DG Newsletter.
Photos: Colman Domingo, Crystal Skillman, and Max Vernon by Roberto Araujo