OHIO: Reminder, A Playwright’s Path to Production
Sunday October 14
227 N 3rd St
Columbus, OH, 43215
1pm-2pm: Writing Plays that Get Productions with Amy Drake, Vivian Lermond, and Jeremy Sony. Moderated by Rick Hole.
- “Adapting a Story for the Stage: How to Determine What to Include and What to Leave Out” (Amy Drake). Adaptations are popular because the original story is already part of our culture. If you want to adapt your favorite novel, or story, or legend for the stage, this session is for you. Featuring a step-by-step diagram relating story plot points to sequences in play structure.
- “Crafting Voices of Credible Characters in Conflict” (Vivian Lermond). This mini-session offers tips on creating characters that engage us by what they say and how they say it.
- “Rewriting for Production, or How I Learned to Love Producers’ Notes” (Jeremy Sony). Tiptoeing the line between collaboration and compromise, here are some first-hand experiences and tips on working with p – An Afternoon of Panels and Conversations roducers and directors to make sure your script stays true to your story.
2:15pm-3pm: What Theatres Are Looking For: A Q & A with Raymond Bobgan, Executive Artistic Director at Cleveland Public Theatre and Board President, National New Play Network.
- Join Cleveland Public Theatre’s Raymond Bobgan, and Jen Schlueter, former DG Southern Ohio Rep and Associate Professor in the Department of Theatre at Ohio State University, to discuss current new play development and production trends in American theatre.
3:15pm-4pm: Write What You Don’t Know: A Craft Q & A with Eric Coble, writer of Broadway’s The Velocity of Autumn.
- Join playwright Eric Coble, and Available Light’s Executive Director Matt Slaybaugh, for a conversation on the craft of playwriting.
4pm-4:30pm: Informal Meet and Greet.
- Hosted by DG Central Ohio Ambassador, Amy Drake, this event is free and open to all to attend. No RSVP is necessary.
Ohio Regional Rep