International Thomas Wolfe Playwrighting Competition
NOTES: To celebrate 100 years of playmaking at UNC-Chapel Hill, PlayMakers Repertory Company is soliciting unproduced scripts that speak to the rich legacy of one of North Carolina’s most famous writers: Thomas Wolfe. The prize is named after the novelist whom William Faulkner called “the greatest talent of his generation.” Wolfe’s writings reflect a largeness of spirit and an expansive vision of life, while anchored in what, where, and whom he knew. The prize will be awarded to a writer who captures Wolfe’s mix of highly original, poetic language with personal stories rooted in geographic place. Plays that deal with Wolfe’s life and/or adaptations of his fiction are encouraged. Preference will be given to plays that synthesize all the above criteria in bold and exciting ways.
Winner will receive a $7,500 cash prize and development support from PlayMakers. See website for more details.
SUBMISSION INFORMATION: T
- The contest is restricted to plays written in English. International submissions are accepted.
- Submissions must be original full-length plays written in English. Translations, children’s plays, musicals, and adaptations are not accepted.
- Plays must not infringe upon the copyright of any other work, or violate any other rights (including but not limited to rights of privacy and publicity) of any other person, firm, corporation or other entity, or defame any person, firm or corporation.
- One submission per playwright.
- Plays should not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production at the time of submission.
- Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible.
- Plays must be typed, must include page-numbers and in professional play formatting.
- PlayMakers reserves the right to reject any submission for any reason.Electronic submissions are strongly urged. Electronic submission will provide you with confirmation of a successful submission. Electronic submissions must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2019 and no later than September 1, 2019 using an online form that will go live on this page beginning June 1. All submissions will close at 12 midnight Sept 1, 2019.If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form. The manuscript itself must be in PDF format and include a title page that shows the play’s title, a 2–3 sentence keynote description of the play and how it aligns with Wolfes writing, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes.
GENRE: Plays LENGTH: Full-length FEE: No AGENT ONLY: No